- In a mixer fitted with the hook attachment or with hand mixer using with the dough attachments combine yeast, sugar and milk. Alternatively mix by hand in large bowl. Stir in egg. Add flour, spices, salt and melted butter. Once ingredients are blended add the raisins.
- With mixer, knead for 5 minutes on low speed or mix for 8 minutes by hand (a large wooden spoon works best). Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest for 1 ½ hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece gently to shape in a ball and place in a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Cover pan with a tea towel and let rest 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (160°C). Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until buns are a deep brown colour. While buns are still hot, prepare glaze.
- Heat sugar and water until sugar is dissolved. First brush, and then pour hot syrup over buns and let cool completely. For icing, combine icing sugar and milk and whisk until smooth (add a few drops of milk if too thick). Pipe or drizzle crosses over buns.