- For the cucumber pickle, toss all ingredients together and set aside until ready to serve (or this can be prepared ahead and chilled).
- Stir the water and rice together in a pot, bring this to a boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook until the rice is tender and the water absorbed, about 15 minutes (the rice will be sticky).
- Heat a large sauté pan over high heat and add the oil. Add the cooked rice, sesame oil, soy sauce and hot sauce, stirring often, until the rice crisps up a little (it will crackle as it cooks). Remove the rice from then pan into bowls (bowls can be kept warm in a low oven), wipe out the pan and prepare the vegetables.
- Keeping the heat on high, add 1 Tbsp of the oil, then a few seconds later add the Gai lan, pepper and mushrooms tossing for a minute. Add the garlic, ginger and soy sauce and continue to toss until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Spoon the vegetables onto the rice. Wipe out the pan again and fry the eggs.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tsp of oil. Break the eggs into the pan and fry, sunny-side up, until the white is cooked and the yolk still runny. Lift this onto the bowl of rice & vegetables and garnish with the cucumber pickle, green onions and hot sauce as desired. Serve immediately.